Holiday Tradition (Down South)
My favourite holiday tradition would be visiting my sister in Louisiana for Christmas. Since she lives in Louisiana and the rest of my immediate family gathers in New York for the holidays, it is a nice change up. I usually spend from the 22nd of December to January 7th enjoying the leisure of the south. Since I have been down to Louisiana numerous times, I am not so big on the whole touristy side of things. There is nothing more truly satisfying then actually kicking back and being able to soak in the culture directly. This tradition has been occurring for about 4 years now and it is better and better each time. We (my sister, brother-in-law, niece, and I) to my sister’s in-laws and spend Christmas day and afternoon there. Mary-Kay and “Beatsie’s” (the in-laws) hospitality is out of this world. A southern cooked Christmas dinner is most definitely the best Christmas dinner anyone could have. The south and especially the holidays down south are all about relaxing and enjoying time with the family. Since I don’t get to visit my sister and family down south that often (I try to at least get 3-4 trips a year in), it makes it that much greater of an experience. New Year’s comes along and we’ll throw a party, maybe even a crawfish boil, in the backyard. We grill all day and night, socialize, and eventually “pop-off” some fireworks. Most people believe that the southerners love to grill just for the food (slightly true), but the main aspect of it is the social aspect. These people truly love to get together and just tell past stories, swap new ones, throw in a few off-humour jokes, and share new moments together. If you ever get the chance to spend a holiday season down south, take it; the “white Christmas” that you are missing back home in Western New York will be awaiting you once you return.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home