Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Writer's Block: Hitting the Wall of Resistance

“You know, Hitler wanted to be an artist. At eighteen he took his inheritance, seven hundred kronen, and moved to Vienna to live and study. He applied to the Academy of Fine Arts and later to the School of Architecture. Ever see one of his paintings? Neither have I. Resistance beat him. Call it overstatement but I'll say it anyway: it was easier for Hitler to start World War II than it was for him to face a blank square of canvas.” – Steven Pressfield

Writer’s block may be the most evil thing in this world. I attribute writer’s block to an existing force in this world that can get the best of us writers: resistance. When it comes to song writing, it hits me the most. My resistance seems to be the fear of writing something and having it turning out to be pointless, useless, and just awful. Resistance can come in the form of nearly anything: self-doubt, procrastination, lack of self-confidence, and the fear of other’s opinions. Even writing this is a hard task, as writers block is affecting me right now. I think my fear and resistance is not being able to find the right thing to write. However, I have read a book that has been a great help, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles, by Steven Pressfield. This book is, in my opinion, the most insightful look into the psychological and inner workings of the resistance possessed artist’s mind (artist being a writer, song writer, painter, and etcetera). It gives a step by step plan that not only defines the forms of resistance, but gives simple “no-brainer” ways on how to overcome them. However, breaking down this wall of resistance is something I have not yet been able to accomplish. I sometimes hit the wall at full speed without any results. The dwindling remainder of my old inner muse is ultimately duped when I am forced into writing things and that very scarce creative energy that rarely comes around, is lost and there is no hope for my own creative writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home