Monday, April 23, 2012

Group P: Television

The good old parlour wall. The boob tube. The box. The idiot box. The baby sitter. The telly. They are all different names for the same thing; the television.

 It seems like watching television is one of the greatest American past times. I used to watch a lot of television, especially throughout middle school and the early years of high school. We have a television in our living room, and I have one in my room, as well. As of the last two years, I really have lost interest in it and rarely watch any. However, the material I like to watch has narrowed down to Turner Classic Movies, the Discovery and History channel, and some Food Network occasionally. I feel as if I have the mind of an elderly, wise man that has seen it all throughout history, with stern, grass root morals. What television has become truly disgusts me and shocks me. The worst part about it is how much I fear for the upcoming youth, especially my nephews and nieces. The content being pushed out to the masses is becoming more and more accepted; sex, violence, drug use. There is no longer a “line”. It has been crossed long, long ago and completely erased. What this is doing is demoralizing our society; “well, this person is being beat to death by gang members, but that’s how it is on television anyways so there really is nothing I can do about it.” “I’m 14 years old but I saw people having sex on television so I must have to jump right to it, right?” “Jersey Shore is the most watched show on MTV and all they do is drink like fish so that’s what I have to do.” If you say, “Well, most people know better”, it’s not an argument of whether or not they make a decision based on what they view; it’s the fact  that it’s being embedded into society and becoming more acceptable . On the other hand, there are plenty of programs and movies that aren’t to this level; however you can’t escape it even then. Commercials; “Sex sells”! That’s why I enjoy Turner Classic Movies. No commercials; no BS. When is the time to unplug? Is it now? It seems so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home